Thursday, September 17, 2009

Allow me to clarify

I have not graduated from college. Yup, I was Just Kidding.


So, I graduated. I just didn't graduate. I walked, I had the tassel, I threw the hat, I ate the cake -- I'm just not done with classes yet. I know, it sounds silly, but really there is a logical explanation for my bogus pomp and circumstance.

As you may remember I traveled abroad to India during the fall quarter of this last year. Taking this quarter off meant that I was deferring a quarter of my Sullivan Scholarship, a scholarship group that I am a part of at Seattle University (more on this amazing program later in this blog post). In all its pre-meditated glory, the Sullivan allows its recipients to use essentially 4 years of schooling as they see fit, in whatever chunks and sequence that works for them. For me, this meant that I could take fall quarter off last year and roll over that scholarship money to this year. And, wallll AHH! I am returning to SU for a 5th year fall quarter to take my one last marketing elective class.

Now, you may be asking why oh why would I return for just one class. The answer goes a bit beyond the simple, "Well, in case you didn't notice this isn't the best economy to be joining the work force." My reasoning for returning to SU for one more quarter is much more rooted in the core beliefs and values of the Sullivan program. The Sullivan was created to foster better, holistic leadership in young college students. We work on things like group facilitation, community engagement and general mental well-being. It's the latter of those qualities that has to do with why I'm staying around for a 5th year. I realized I needed a buffer before I had to make decisions about the bigger world outside of SU and Capitol Hill. I'm a firm believer in buffers. With both the monetary and community support of the Sullivan, I now have the time to relax for three months, post-COLAB and pre-world. I'm really looking forward to taking time to enjoy my last class, Entrepreneurial Marketing, having time with a few good friends that are still in the Seattle area and simply reflecting on decisions. In all honesty, those things are likely going to be accomplished by way of sitting in the Quad and going on long bike rides to Ballard. I don't have any big plans for the quarter and I'm really, really looking forward to that.

So, apologies if I confused you with that whole cap and gown thing before. I wanted the pictures to show the grand kiddies some day, you know? It was fake-it or forget-it. And really, in the end, I realized that the ceremony wasn't all a big hoax for me. It felt as though I was celebrating the end of my true college years; the hoopla was to bid farewell to all my good friends and all the amazing memories I made during my four years at SU. In my mind, I'm returning to campus this Sunday not to really go back to school, but rather to relish in the campus life one last time. Say goodbye to it all in a real long, cozy way.

I'll let you know how it goes.



Below are some pictures from this summer's Sullivan Retreat on the Oregon Coast where we talk about our ups and downs, learn to relax better, practice Tai Chi and dance to bad pop music. More pictures can be viewed on my Flickr account.

No comments: