Monday, September 22, 2008

Oh, Bangkok

I did it. I arrived. In one piece. And I loved every single step of it.

I flew out early Sunday morning after a long night of Portland awesomeness. My best friends Annie and Hollis surprised me by driving down from Seattle. After scaring the shit out of me (and making me cry a little bit) we went out with Ben, my parents and Berg. I've never felt so overwhelmed by love like I did that night. It was a good overwhelmed... just hard not to cry when you have to say goodbye to so much good stuff. Traveling is an immensely selfish act that I'm not sure my heart was completely ready for. But I did. I left.

Overall, the epic flights across the globe went well. I did get delayed in San Francisco trying to get to my flight to South Korea. I had 20 minutes to get across SFO, check in and board. I didn't freak out. I just sweated a lot. And got really stoked. My trip felt very very physically real at that moment and I loved it.

On my 13 hour flight to S. Korea I sat next to the most adorable little Korean woman. She didn't speak English, but we had the best of time together the whole way. Highlight: when she started doing Tai Chi in the aisle and smiled at her and did some sun salutation deep breathing in the sit next to her (thank you Sullivan Retreat!). She giggled and patted me on the back. And later, when I was horribly confused by my elaborate in flight Korean meal, she laughed at me when I didn't eat the Bi-Bim-Bab salad correctly.

Then came the first "holy crap" moment. Once my flight from S. Korea took off in route to Bangkok, I royally freaked out. I don't know why this sentiment was so delayed...but that's when it hit me I was DOING IT. I allowed myself one hour of freak out time on the flight. Slept the rest of the time. And then I was BANGKOK!!! Whoa whoa whoa. When I made it through custom, I swear I looked like a kid on Christmas morning. I was so so insanely excited. I can't describe it to you. It was like I was completely in love with every little tiny thing in the world. Including the hilarious "Etiquette Bell" in the bathroom for when you need to make other noises.

At this point I had the raddest traveling experience to date. I got in line for a taxi to take me to my hostel (mind you I am alone and it is 2 am in Bangkok). I got a taxi and taxi driver who tried to scam me. I should have known when he jumped ahead of a younger driver to nab me, what probably looked like an easy quick buck. I wasn't having it.
Once in the taxi, driving to Khao San Road:
"You pay 1,000 Baht." (Nearly triple what this ride should be.)
"Nope, this is a metered taxi. Can you turn on your meter?"
"No. You pay 500 Baht. Flat."
"Turn on your meter."
"You cheap."
"You're wasting your time on the meter."
*Flips on meter
"You look like pretty Italian girl."
Trying to get a good tip now that he realizes he can't scam me.

Boo yah!

I found my hostel late last night. It's amazing. Super clean. Super tucked away (took a while to find). There is a coy pond out front and copious amounts of ferrel cat fights beyond the gate. Bangkok is wonderful.

Today Joe and Traci are suppose to find me here at the hostel. I might go find the flower market I keep on hearing about.

3 comments:

Ben said...

The Etiquette Bell! I love it! We'll be getting one of those -- stat.

Mary said...

Boo yah!

dreardo said...

We're so glad you made it with little to no problems. Have a great time, we already miss you!

Mom & Dad