Monday, April 13, 2009

trees against the wind

I am officially addicted to the ReStore.

A week ago I became the new owner of some wonderfully old treasures from the Re-Store in Ballard. I usually walk away with old windows or cabinet doors or floor boards for making things out of. This time, my trove of treasures was a bit different. I found many, many trinkets and if there is one thing I love more than old scrap housing supplies, it's trinkets.

Highlights include:


A coffee tin that I am now storing buttons and spare change in. It reads "Hills Bro Coffee," which made me laugh, because I thought it said "Hillsboro Coffee" at first glance (my hometown where no real great coffee can be found).


 

Two lovely boxes. One is an old, wire gym locker, #62-3, that belonged to Frank D. Cohan. The other is an old, wooden fruit crate that once held "Japanese Mandarin Oranges" (no actual Japanese present any where on the box).



Then there's this foot thingy. It's wood and it has a big crank that makes the foot portion grow wider and wider. I assume it is for stretching shoes for people like Chad who have really wide feet.



And last, but not least, this glorious print block. I plan on taking Intro to Print Making soon, so I'll tell you then exactly how to go about using this awesome piece. It reads "TREES against the WIND." I Googled 'trees against the wind' and only found a small publication concerning reforestation in the NW under the same name. Therefore, I think we (creative people who read my blog) can use this print for a project. Ideas? I vote someone make some music and we'll call the album TREES against the WIND. It's so very indie.

Thanks for the trove, Re-Store. You never fail me.

No comments: