Tuesday, May 5, 2009

journals of sorts

In my purse, next to my bed, underneath my coffee cup and in the back pocket of my pack you will find a journal.

I have journals of all sorts. I typically use the classic small Moleskines. I vary amongst the lined/plain/and graph paper options. The tipping point of like ---> love for me with these journals is when their kraft outsides become soft and fuzzy from rubbing in your pocket so much. It's really a beautiful thing. When I go on a big adventure, like a trip to India, I opt for the classier version of the Moleskine, bound in black and perfectly suited for heavier sketches and scuff marks from adventures. I've also acquired many miscellaneous journals in recent months. One of my favorite new items is my "FIELD NOTES" journal from Draplin Design Co. (thanks to Portland marketing collective, MilkMilk, for the goody).



I use journals for just about everything. I make sketches for my homework for classes.


I take note of important things while I'm traveling. Volunteer ID card from Mother Theresa's House, daily schedule notes and ideas:


Given the prompt to draw a monkey and a lion playing together, I sketched this in one of my journals:


All of my journals have the same last page: Current Feeling. It's a habit I picked up while traveling. I tell myself, at the least, I can simply jot down my current emotion in my journals. Long entries are infrequent for me, however the cumulative sentiment of a whole page of my feelings tracked over a period of time is surprisingly representative.


This one time, I had an idea for a blog and I wrote it down.


My journals are like a community. I feel supported, nagged at, reminded and inspired by all those darn little pages.

3 comments:

stefanie p. warmouth said...

this is GREAT!

Katie Reardon said...

thanks, Ms. Warmouth!

What's the Bird? said...

Oh yeaaah I like the new headline photo. Way to sketch.