Thursday, April 22, 2010

spike lee

Spike Lee came to the office today.

I'm just completely blown away that I was able to listen to him in person for an hour and that I shook the guy's hand. He was just awesome (and completely intimidating in a brilliant sort of way and amazingly inspiring in terms of advertising's cultural relevance). Not to mention his love of young film making and his desire to push the medium as a powerful platform. (Sidenote: Spike told us his first film, She's Gotta Have It -- the inspiration for the Mars Blackmon/Michael Jordan spots -- was made in 15 days with $175 budget. This was one of those moments where I felt completely motivated to make Sirocco happen in a big way.)

Thank you, Spike (and Bill Davenport and Jim Griswold). You made me remember 10-fold why I am excited to work at w+k as well as why I think we all need to keep on making things we believe in and are inspired by.

Below, one of my favorite Mars Blackmon commercials -- Hang Time. Watch all the way through so that you don't miss one of the few great f-bomb drops in advertising history  /

No comments: