Tuesday, August 12, 2008

dinosaurs and mosquitoes

Clearly, clearly I'm a huge fan of dinosaurs. Sadly, the fact of the matter is John Hammond has yet to discover a way to harness mosquitoes' fossilized DNA embedded in Baltic amber to bring back the cuddly little fellas. Therefore, mosquitoes have no real purpose in our post-Jurassic world than to infect millions of people with malaria. Boo. Big boo.


The reason why I bring this is up is that in the process of getting ready to leave for India one of the big to-do items on my list has been to get my malaria medication. The topic of which brand of malaria meds is best is a hot one indeed amongst my group of friends. Many SU folks have come back from trips abroad with horror stories of side effects, tales of expensive medical bills or, worse yet, malaria. This is how it has been explained to me:

Mefloquine - Bad bad bad kind. It'll mess you up. Am I a certified pharmacist who can rattled of the facts of mental illness side effects? No. Have I read enough NYTimes articles about soldiers committing suicide after taking Mefloquine to be royally freaked out? Yes!

Doxycyline - Great, affordable alternative to mefloquine. Supposedly not as reliable because you have to take it everyday (versus Mefloquine's once a week regiment). Worth the daily hassle if you consider the lack of clinical depression you'll avoid. Side effect: makes your skin super sensitive to sun which isn't so convenient considering most malaria ridden countries are, um, hot.

and, last but not least...

Malarone - No proven side effects, taken once a day. Set back is it is very very spendy. But I just found out yesterday that my insurance will cover three months of it! Thank you Kaiser!

With my malaria pills taken care of and my recently issued Indian Visa, I'm feeling relatively more prepared for my trip. Leaving all of my friends and family and boyfriend for three months aside, I feel prepared.

No comments: