Wednesday, October 22, 2008

It can be a good thing

I had been told my first time being sick abroad, specifically in India, would be a very unique experience. An important one, in fact.

Three days sounds short, but when all you have to do is stare at a Technicolor-mold infested ceiling and listen to a cat give birth outside your window, things can get interesting. I felt sad to not have anyone to talk to during the day while Joe and Traci were at work. I missed canned soup from home and watching Price is Right when I use to get sick. But most of all, I found myself reflecting a lot on my past 4 weeks of work and some what scared of the last two ahead of me.

My 102 temperature finally subsided and my throat was able to swallow solids again. Dr. Traci, one of my awesome roommates, had successfully nursed me back to health with her copious amounts of medical supplies she packed (her mom's a nurse!) and by making me gargle warm saltwater.

I had missed two days of work which felt like a lot. Laugh all you want... I was that kid in 7th grade who got the perfect attendance award. Absence is a big deal for me.

Back to work I went.

I had feared, during my bed ridden hours of thought, that my two days away from work would strip me off all the responsibilities I had earned prior and that the patients I had grown close with would have found another volunteer of a healthier state. I had wondered in bed, what are the volunteers to these patients? Don't we just shuffle through their life while they remain constant? Am I any different than the next girl who will be here volunteering next month? To my surprise, patients were relieved to see me back. In proper 'grandma' way, many of the little ladies already knew I had been sick and were urging me to gargle warm salt water (why had I never heard of this saltwater thing???). Right when I walked into the ward one of my favorite Sisters came and gave me a hug and said it was good to have me back. Louise came and found me and confessed she was worried I had left early without saying goodbye. Before I knew it, my illness had gone from giving me pain and doubts to filling me up with a sense of home and gratitude. I'm in awe that in only a short 4 weeks, Prem Dan can give me this.

I even laughed and smiled with Santi when I saw her for the first time since the punching incident. She didn't remember or care, obviously. I had expected as much. I was laughing, unexpectedly though, because as I saw Santi I remembered that the only other time in my whole life I had been punched was an accidental one by my best friend Annie when we were on an inflatable obstacle course last year. Punches in my life thus far have turned out just fine. I like that.

1 comment:

annie said...

I really did punch her.

and despite my unintentional violence, i still lost the race...is there a lesson here?

when you come on back I will give you A HUG INSTEAD